Have you ever had a craving that you just can't put your finger on?
Like when you are in the aisle of the grocery store and just pace back and forth…trying to figure out what your body wants.
That's how I felt before making this cake. I knew I wanted to make a cake. And I knew I wanted a tasty combination.
Vanilla + Caramel = No.
Chocolate + Caramel = Gross.
Chocolate + Peanut Butter = Not today.
Vanilla + White Chocolate = Getting closer…
Vanilla + White Chocolate + Strawberry = YES.
And is there is a better day to make a cake than on Mother's Day? Most likely not.
We had the opportunity to spend the day with my in-laws. Have I ever mentioned how much I love my in-laws? Well if I haven't, they are the best. I love them so much.
My husband and I made vegetable curry for the family, my mother-in-law unwrapped gifts, we were able to talk to my brother Isaac and my sister-in-law Danielle (they are both serving missions in Panama and Guam), and we ate strawberry white chocolate cake, of course.
My incredibly beautiful mother-in-law.
One of the gifts she received from my father-in-law--jewelry from Sundance.
Strawberry White Chocolate [Poke] Cake
1 gluten-free vanilla cake, baked (your choice of mix, Bob's Red Mill is pretty yummy)
- If you make a cake from a mix, I would recommend adding 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
- You can also make your own cake--these recipes are yummy: white cake or yellow cake
1 container strawberries, rinsed, de-stemmed and quartered
White Chocolate Sauce (see below)
Vanilla Whipped Cream (see below)
- Bake the vanilla cake, according to box directions. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- With a chopstick, poke various holes into the cake. Pour the white chocolate sauce over the cake and let it run into the holes.
- Spread the whipped cream evenly onto the top of the cake.
- At last, place the quartered strawberries on the whipped cream.
- Eat and be ready to be addicted!
White Chocolate Sauce
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
8 oz white chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the cream and butter to a small saucepan.
- Place the pan over low heat until the butter melts and the cream comes to a simmer (stir frequently).
- Pour in the white chocolate chips, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in vanilla.
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.