Friday, March 16, 2012

Lofthouse-style Soft Sugar Cookies

Do you remember those fat, soft, pink-frosted sugar cookies you could buy at the gas station?
The ones that were the size of a small child?
You know what I am talking about...
Those ones.
Yeah, they were so goooood.
Well, you are in luck today.
Because they decided to pop in to say "hello."


Hey good-looking.


Yeah, I'm talking to you.


You're so cute.
So cute that I could just eat you up...


Woops. That wasn't supposed to happen.


It's the sprinkles' fault.
If they didn't make you look so pretty, I wouldn't have been tempted.
Yep, sounds like a good excuse to me.


Lofthouse-style Soft Sugar Cookies
makes 5-6 dozen cookies
For the Cookies:
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups sour cream
For the Buttercream Frosting:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 6 tablespoons heavy cream
Food coloring, optional
Sprinkles, optional
  1. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and sour cream and beat at low speed until combined.
  3. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, scraping down the bowl as needed. Dough will be a little sticky, but that is okay. Divide dough into two sections. Flatten into rectangles about 1½ inches thick, then wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator overnight or for at least two hours.
  4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
  5. Lightly flour the countertop and the top of the dough. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to ¼-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out the cookies and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 7 minutes, until cookies are slightly golden around the edges. Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Cool cookies completely before frosting.
  6. To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and vanilla extract. Slowly beat in powdered sugar and the pinch of salt. Once smooth and creamy, add in heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, then beat at medium-high speed for a minute or two until light and fluffy. Add food coloring, if desired, and beat until combined.
  7. Once cookies have cooled completely, frost and add sprinkles, if desired. Allow frosting to set, then store in an air-tight container.
These cookies are often referred to as Granny B's Sugar Cookies or Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
I found the recipe over at Two Peas & Their Pod. I just think their blog is so adorable :)




















Yummy in my tummy.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE THESE COOKIES!!! Found you through pinterest!
    I love to eat and your blog is so cute and I'm loving the recipes you've posted!
    Looking forward to more yummy recipes!
    xo Hannah

    fitnessfashionmommyhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! I love them too! Making yummy food makes me happy. I am glad it makes you happy too :)

      Delete
  2. HA HA I just read my comment and the "I love to eat " makes me seem like a fatty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, your comment made me laugh. "I love to eat" too! And you are definitely not a fatty.
      P.S. I replied to your comment above, but accidentally under my other email. Oops!

      Delete

Thanks for being a friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...