All you ready need for strawberry lemonade cupcakes are some strawberries...
...oh, and maybe some cupcakes.
And frosting, of course.
What is summer? Summer is laying out in your swimsuit, running through the sprinklers, eating a drippy popsicle, wearing no shoes outside, and riding your bicycle in the warm evening air...
These cupcakes are the epitome of summer. They are sweet, tangy, fresh, light, and fun.
If you are feeling sad, eat one of these cupcakes, and I promise you that your day will seem brighter and happier.
I pinky swear.
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
can be dairy-free
1 cup sugar
6 Tbl. butter (for dairy free, use coconut oil or Earth Balance)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix (1/2 cup brown rice sugar, 1/2 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup tapioca starch)
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk (for extra lemon flavor: 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice + 1/4 and 1/8 cup milk; for dairy free, use almond milk)
grated zest of 2 lemons
2 dashes of xanthan gum
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter (or coconut oil/Earth Balance) and sugar until fluffy. Mix in eggs. Add vanilla.
- In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients by increments. Stir in milk. Add in lemon zest. Stir well. At last, stir in xanthan gum.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners. Bake for 15-20 minutes. (Make sure to keep an eye on them.) Cupcakes will be done when they turn a light golden color. Insert a toothpick into the center cupcake; if it comes out clean, then the cupcakes are done.
- Cool cupcakes for a few minutes and then remove them from the cupcake pan and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- When they are completely cool, go ahead and frost them with my Strawberry Lemonade Frosting (see below).
Strawberry Lemonade Frosting
1/2 cup butter (for dairy free, use Earth Balance)
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbl. frozen lemonade concentrate, at room temperature (or 2 Tbl. milk *see alteration below)
- Before you start making the frosting, chop up the strawberries. (You can also puree them in a food processor, which I did--and I recommend it).
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter (or Earth Balance) until it is smooth. Add the powdered sugar, in increments. Add in salt and vanilla.
- Stir in the chopped (or pureed) strawberries.
- Stir in the lemonade concentrate. At this point, you will want to whip the frosting very quickly, until it looks light and fluffy.
- Cool frosting for a few minutes in the fridge, give it a good stir, and then frost your cupcakes!
click here to see my original strawberry lemonade cupcakes.