Tonight was so much fun.
- Devin and I only spent 1 hour at the store buying groceries, rather than the 2 hours we wasted last week. Go us!
- I made a really good coconut curry soup for dinner.
- Devin loved it, and ate 3 bowls of it. Score.
As you can see, my night was quite wonderful :)
Oh, and did I mention that we ate by candlelight?
Hahaaa...what can I say? We are hopeless romantics? (or at least Devin is)
Coconut Curry Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots (or onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai curry paste (yellow or red or Panang)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Thai hot chili sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (1/2-inch cubes) peeled red-skinned sweet potato
- 1 cup (1/2-inch cubes) red potato
- 1/2 pound rice stick noodles
- 1 skinless boneless chicken thigh, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup (coarsely chopped) red bell pepper
- 1 cup (coarsely chopped) green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in curry paste, curry powder, and sweet chili sauce. Add 1/2 can coconut milk. Stir until thick and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining coconut milk, broth, fish sauce, and sugar; bring to a boil. Turn off heat, but leave a lid on to keep warm.
- Cook diced sweet potato in a pot of boiling water (or in the microwave) until soft. Strain water and set aside in a separate bowl. Now cook the diced red potato in that same pot of boiling water (or in the microwave) until soft. Strain water and set in the same bowl as the sweet potato. Use that same pot to boil the rice noodles for about 3-5 minutes (until barely tender). Strain water from noodles and set aside.
- Bring coconut broth to low boil. Add chicken, bell peppers and sliced onion. Place lid on saucepan and cook on medium to medium-low heat, until chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes). Add sweet potato, red potato, and rice noodles; stir to heat through, about 1 minute. Divide noodles among bowls. Garnish with green onions and cilantro. Eat up!