I don't know what it is about husbands. Is it normal for them to hate vegetables and fruits?
Like SERIOUSLY, mine claims to be "allergic" to carrots and avocados.
I think he just pretends to be allergic to something when he is trying to avoid it.
Last weekend, he claimed to be allergic to horses when we were out with friends. Really, I think he was just scared of the horses. It was sorta cute. :)
But how can I get mad at that ADORABLE face?
ANYWAY, my point is...sometimes it's hard to please husbands.
That's why when I made these bars, I was SHOCKED when he LOVED them.
"These are SO good!" He told me, after taking a bite.
Take my husband's word for it...these bars are the SHIZ!
If you haven't tried a Luna Blueberry Bliss bar, you don't need to! Because these are just like them!
Except they have...
- less sugar
- less fat
- fewer ingredients
Not only are these incredibly simple to make, but they store well in the freezer. I love storing protein-rich snacks in the freezer because...
- they last a long time
- they don't lose essential nutrients
- in the summer, they are the perfect cold treat!
Less talking and more FOOD!
Homemade Blueberry Bliss Bars
no bake, gluten-free, protein-rich, fiber-rich
4 cups Crispy Rice Cereal
1/2 cup Rolled Oats
2 Tbs. Ground Flaxseed (AKA Flaxseed Meal)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup Almond Butter (creamy)
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder (Quest works great!)
1 cup Dried Blueberries
1 cup White Chocolate Chips
1 tsp. Coconut Oil
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cereal, oats, flax and salt.
- In a small (microwave-safe) bowl, stir together the honey and almond butter. Microwave for 30-60 seconds, stirring halfway through. Remove from the microwave and add in vanilla extract. Slowly stir in the protein powder.
- Combine the honey mixture with the cereal mixture. Stir in the blueberries.
- Scoop mixture into the baking dish and flatten out with your hands (press hard to compress the bars).
- For the Icing:
- Mix together the white chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double-boiler. Once the water is boiling, stir the mixture until it reaches a smooth texture. Remove from the burner.
- Scoop icing mixture into a sandwich bag and snip a corner. Design the treats how you prefer.
- Pop the bars in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Cut bars into 9-12 squares.
- Store in Ziplock bags in the freezer.
Thank you Jessica at DWB for the inspiration!
NUTRITION FACTS (per bar)
Fat: 10 g
Sugar: 21 g
Protein: 14 g
Fiber: 4 g