Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chocolate Mug Cake (in less than 5 minutes)


Chocolate. Cake. In a mug.
Whaaat?!
And in less than 5 minutes?
You have got to be kidding me.
Plus it's healthy and delicious
Double-whammy. 




Look at it.
It's all fluffy and stuff.



Spoonage.




Let's be honest here.
I was craving chocolate before I decided to try this.
I had two options: continue to eat Dove dark chocolates (until I made myself sick) or eat chocolate cake.
(Or both...teehee.)
I chose the latter.
"Make chocolate mug cake..." The voice in my head said. However, I had one problem...I can't eat gluten. "Make gluten-free chocolate mug cake..." The voice said again. "But it will taste gross...all gluten-free desserts are gross." But I decided to give it a go anyway, despite the fact that it could have been disgusting.
I took out my brown rice flour, agave, vanilla, almond milk, cocoa, salt, coconut oil, and an egg.
I stirred it all up in a mug, threw it in the microwave for 2 minutes, and hoped for the best.
After the mircrowave's little song, I looked inside and found that a steaming mug of chocolate cake had magically taken the place of my previous goulash of cocoa mess.
I stuck a spoon into the chocolate cake, put it up to my mouth, and prayed that it would be edible.

....
......
..........

Ummm, what?
"This is weird. This healthy cake is supposed to taste...gross, right?"
I was honestly dumbfounded.
It was so good.
I practically scarfed the entire mug down in 30 seconds flat.
Tasty? Yeah, I think so.






Who said you can't have your cake and eat it too? I never really got this. I mean, I can first eat my chocolate cake and then have it too when it's in my belly. Hmmf. The person who came up with that logic was wack.

Inspired by Jess over at ATX Gluten-Free

Chocolate Mug Cake

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free  (Hurrah!)

  • 1 large microwave-safe coffee mug
  • 3-4 tablespoons brown rice flour (or gluten-free flour mix)
  • 4 tablespoons coconut palm sugar (or agave, honey, sucanat, or stevia)
  • a pinch of salt
  • a pinch of baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons almond milk
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Optional add-ins: dark chocolate chips, coconut flakes, dried cherries

  1. Grease a coffee mug with oil or cooking spray. 
  2. Place all ingredients in the mug and mix with a fork to combine ingredients. 
  3. Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds. The cake might look like it is overflowing from the mug, but don't worry! It will settle. (Cooking time varies on the power of your microwave, but it should take from about 1 minute and 30 seconds minutes to 3 minutes. I find that mine cooks perfectly in 2 minutes.) 
  4. Final product should be moist, fluffy, and completely wonderful :)
Note: If your flour blend already contains baking powder and salt, omit those ingredients when making the cake.

6 comments:

  1. Mmm...Sarah that looks yummy! I'm definitely gonna have to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super yummy :) Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Hey Sarah,
    i just want to let you know that i am a dedicated reader and i LOVE your blog. My question regarding this post is whether or not one could substitute chocolate cake for banana bread? i realize the suggestion sounds crazy, but consider me curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Devin,
      I am flattered that you are such a dedicated reader of my blog :)
      I think the banana bread would work, and it's such a great idea. I will have to try it out and then post about it. Banana Mug Bread. Yum :)
      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  3. This is really really good. Thanks! You made my evening! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being a friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...