Sunday, January 22, 2012

Disneyland and Banana Taffy

Lovebirds in Cartoonland.

Yes. We went to DISNEYLAND! And by we, I mean the boyf and I.
It was so much fun.

Excited for the day ahead of us!

Our married friends: Drew and Teresa.

This street was trippy. Part of it is real and the other part is a painting.

Kissy kiss.

Sully! (And Teresa trying to smooch him...)

We got "Just Married" pins (just for fun, folks). It was awesome because the Disneyland workers treated us so well--giving us free stuff and taking us on rides behind the crazy busy lines. We got all sorts of congratulations from strangers too. Totally worth it.

Screamin' on the California Screamin'

Killer toys.

Riding the new Little Mermaid ride. At least Devin looks cute.

Bahahaaa...seductive. This makes me laugh every time.

Mickey Mouse!

Pluto!

Woof. Rawr.

GIANT turkey leg!!

Briar Bear!

Looks like we've been a little too naughty, and not so nice.

Sneaking food out of Minnie Mouse's fridge. She had quite the collection of cheese.

For the record, we love Mickey Mouse.

 
Finale: the fireworks. Spectacular.

HUNTINGTON BEACH
Beavis and Butthead. I loved this TV series! Does anyone remember these guys? They were hilarious...and crude, I must admit.

Taking a picture from a mirror inside the antique shop.

That is one sexy man.

Looking out to the Pacific.

Timed camera shot. I think it turned out rather nicely :)

My eye. Regards of Devin.

My turn at photography.

LAGUNA BEACH



Running along the beach. favorite. thing. ever.

THANKS for joining me on my adventure :)


And now my inspiration for today's recipe! (finally)...

...CANDY!!

And not just any candy, but BANANA salt water TAFFY!!!

That's right...I said salt water taffy :)

Soft, chewy, sweet, salty, perfect.

Can't forget the salt!

 Boiling down that sugar...

Letting it cool a bit.

When in doubt, call in the help of your family.

Pull it until your arms fall off.

And voila! Taffy!

Taffy Snake. Thanks to my silly mother :)

There's a time to cut...

 There's a time to wrap...

And there's always, always a time to eat :)


Banana Salt Water Taffy
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon-1 teaspoon banana flavoring
  • 3-7 drops yellow food coloring

  1. Butter the sides of a 2-quart saucepan
  2. Add sugar, corn syrup, water and salt to the pan
  3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved
  4. Continue cooking to 250-265 degrees (between the firm-ball and hard-ball stage), without stirring (the mixture should boil gently over the entire surface)
  5. Remove from heat
  6. Stir in butter, flavoring and color
  7. Pour into a buttered 15x10x1 inch pan (glass works well)
  8. Cool for about 20 minutes or until easily handled
  9. Butter hands and pull candy is until difficult to pull (call in the help of friends of family--trust me, you'll need it!)
  10. Add in more flavoring and color, if needed
  11. Cut into fourths
  12. Pull each piece into a long strand about 1/2 inch thick
  13. Cut taffy into bite size pieces using buttered scissors
  14. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap or wax paper (I prefer wax paper)
  15. Store in ziploc baggies or an airtight container
Oh candy, why are you so good?

8 comments:

  1. Beavis and Butthead recently came back for a 9th season. I haven't watched any of the episodes, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same show. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That is so funny! I will have to look into that and see if they are the same. Good times.

      Delete
  2. That vacation was awesome, thanks for inviting us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! I am so glad that you guys came with us! Made it super fun.

      Delete
  3. So this is the blog I heard so much about! I have to say though, I really love the candy snake the best. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the blog. It's not anything amazing, but I love to do it. Isn't the candy snake so cool? Haha, my mom is such a silly-goose!

      Delete
  4. and the onion-skin easter eggs. who would have thought!?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being a friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...