Friday, August 9, 2013

slow cooker chicken quinoa chili


This past week, my husband and I were in Minnesota for a family reunion. We meet every two years and have a blast playing games, talking, getting competitive in volleyball, and of course--eating. Since my family is so huge, we have to rent out some pretty big cabins to fit us all in. This year was awesome because there was a lake right next to our cabins. And who doesn't like to freeze their butt off in the ice cold water?! Am I right?


Basically, the entire time we were there it was chilly. We were even cooped up for two days in the cabin because of the rain. But heck, it was still a lot of fun.


I thought I had escaped the cold when we left the cabin this morning, but not so. As of now, I am sitting in the Kansas City airport with my husband, waiting for our connecting flight to Salt Lake City. And guess what? It's freezing here! Come on summer--show yourself!

All this cold weather got me thinking about soup and chili. Then I realized that I haven't posted this recipe yet--and it's one of my favorites. Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Chili.


Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Chili


gluten-free, dairy-free

3 (14 ounce) cans of diced tomatoes
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can of chili beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can of corn, drained
2 cups chicken broth
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (uncooked)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2-3 teaspoons chili powder
salt, to taste
hot sauce, to taste (if you like it spicy)
1 cup of uncooked quinoa, rinsed
toppings of your choice (avocados, cilantro, lime, sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips)
cooked brown or white rice (optional)

  1. After you rinse the quinoa, add everything into a 6 quart slow cooker. Simply stir and put on the lid.
  2. Cook on low (for 6-8 hours) or on high (4-6 hours). If you're using frozen chicken you may have to cook it longer.
  3. After chicken is cooked, remove it and shred it (two forks work great). Return shredded chicken to slow cooker. Either turn off slow cooker or leave on low, until chili is ready to serve and eat.
  4. Serve with your preferred toppings and/or cooked rice.
My husband and I ate this on top of rice. However, if you are eating it on top of rice, you can choose to omit the quinoa from the chili.



*This recipe is adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything.

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I love your gluten free recipes. Thanks for another great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome!

      There are lots more to come!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I am excited for you to try it!
      It's super good!

      Delete

Thanks for being a friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...