Sunday, March 11, 2012

Homemade Fig Newtons


Oh. my. goodness.
Every time I look at these guys, I want to make them again and again and again...
They are so addicting.

Ever since I joined the Pinterest team, I kept seeing recipes for Fig Newtons.
I glanced at each recipe, unimpressed by what I saw. Either there was too much sugar or they were made with white flour, or there was a bunch of butter in them.
Yuck.
Not my cup of tea.
So it became my mission : to come up with the perfect, most healthy, tastiest Fig Newton recipe on earth.
I couldn't do much else besides dream of making them.
And once I made them and took that first bite, I couldn't do much else besides dream of making them again.
Yep, winner winner chicken dinner.







Homemade Fig Newtons
gluten-free and dairy-free and vegan
Filling:
  • 1 cup dried figs
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (or 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice concentrate, just know that fresh is best)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon agave or honey
Dough:
  • 2 1/2 cups brown rice flour (or blanched almond flour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (normal iodized salt works fine too)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup agave or honey
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  1. For the filling : blend figs in a food processor for about 30 seconds, until well chopped. Add lemon juice, vanilla, and agave (or honey). Process until you get a smooth paste. Set aside.
  2. For the dough : in a large bowl, combine flour, salt, cornstarch, and baking soda. In a smaller bowl, combine agave (honey), maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla. Mix the wet mixture with the dry stuff. Refrigerate for one hour. 
  3. Divide chilled dough into 4 parts. Between 2 sheets of parchment paper, roll out one part of the 4 pieces of dough into a 10x4 inch rectangle that is 1/4 of an inch thick. Spread 1/4 of the filling evenly down one side (lengthwise) of the rectangle. Fold the opposite side over onto the filling (making sure to fold the dough in half down the long side--"hotdog-style), resulting in a 10x2 inch bar. "Mend" the seam so the bar is symmetrical. Place on a baking sheet that is covered with parchment paper. Repeat with the 3 remaining dough pieces and 3/4 leftover filling.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F, for 10-15 minutes (until slightly golden). Cool slightly. Cut each bar every 2 inches (making 2-inch Fig Newtons).


    Get in mah belleh!




    Decided to try taking a picture with a dark background.
    I liked it...okay.
    What I need is a nice camera.
    Like this Nikon DSLR or this Canon one.
    Early Christmas gift, maybe?


    Look at all those Fig Newtons just for me...er, I mean for everyone!

    3 comments:

    1. They look great. But look a little on the dry side, are they? Although, it seems that "real" newtons are a bit dry.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They really are so yummy. They taste a lot like Fig Newtons, which are on the dry side. It just so happens, though, that these are not at all too dry. So if you like Fig Newtons then these are perfect for you! :)

        Delete
      2. Thanks! I will be making these soon. I love fig newtons. Just don't like the price of the ones in the store and all the other added crap.

        Delete

    Thanks for being a friend!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...