Lentil veggie soup with rosemary cheesy bread. There's nothing quite like hot soup paired with warm bread on a cold day. It's like cinnamon and sugar, bread and butter, peanut butter and jelly. The two just match perfectly together.
It's dough rolling time.
Spread out the cheese and roll like you would with cinnamon rolls.
Seal all edges to prevent cheese spillage.
Cur slits onto the top and let rise until doubled in size.
Bake until golden brown.
Bread should have a crispy crust and a soft inside.
Hot Veggie Soup.
Dip bread in soup. Eat. Feel happy inside.
Rosemary Cheesy Bread
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 cups cheese (mozzarella/Parmesan mix is delicious)
- Mix yeast with warm water and wait for about 10 minutes, until frothy.
- Add flour, salt, sugar, oil knead like crazy (about 10 minutes).
- Add the herbs and pepper and knead some more (about 5 minutes).
- Let rise an hour or so in an oiled, covered bowl in a warm place.
- Punch down. Roll out onto a floured surface. Cover dough with cheese and roll lengthwise from one end to the other. Seal all open edges. Cut slices into top of loaf.
- Let rise another hour.
- Bake at 375 until golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Let cool for a few minutes before cutting.
Lentil Vegetable Soup
- 1 pound lentils (2 1/3 cups dry)
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large onions)
- 4 cups chopped leeks, white part only (2 leeks)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups medium-diced celery (8 stalks)
- 3 cups medium-diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
- 3 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine or red wine vinegar
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a large stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent and very tender.
- Add the celery and carrots and saute for 10 more minutes. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste, and lentils.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the lentils are cooked through.
- Check the seasonings. Add the red wine and serve hot, sprinkled with grated Parmesan.